As a kid, I absolutely loved playing video games: I completely immersed myself into RPGs (role playing games) such as Diablo III, staying up until 4am (avoiding homework) to grind my way to level 60.
I invested hundreds of hours into video games with little to show for it in real life. Disillusioned by what I felt were hundreds of hours of wasted life, I contemplated:
There must be a game where the more I play, the stronger and better I get in real life.
It was then that it hit me… “Duh! There’s a game that we’re all playing right now whether we know it or not–the game of life.” If I could figure out how to level up, gain EXP (experience), and get my friends to join me, then I wouldn’t need to play video games anymore because real life would be so much more fulfilling!
Level 72 Chou
(I will update my level every month.)
Every player in the world starts their life with granted stats and abilities. The player can then choose how to gain experience, level up, and unlock new abilities.
For example, I went to university, which allowed me to gain a lot of experience through classes, friends, and professors.
After university, I chose to start my own company, which allowed me to gain even more experience through building a team, managing people, fundraising, and building products.
It was through my technology startup in Mountain View, CA that I began to unlock the secrets of Gamification, which lead me to create the Octalysis Framework — the complete Gamification framework.
The Octalysis Framework catapulted my career:
- 2014, 2015 and 2017: Gamification Guru of the Year” Award by the World Gamification Congress and the Gamification Europe Conference.
- 2015 – rated #1 among the “Gamification Gurus Power 100” by RISE
- Worked with Fortune 500 companies such as LEGO, Google, Volkswagen/Porsche, Accenture, eBay, Huawei, Fidelity, AIG Japan, Verizon, Ericsson, and Cisco
- My work has been featured on Forbes, The Wall Street Journal, Business Insider,The World Journal, PBS, and NBC
- Spoken as a speaker/lecturer at organizations such as Google, Tesla, Stanford University, LEGO, TEDx, and Boston Consulting Group
Yu-kai is at the cutting edge of the field of behavior design.
– Nir Eyal, author of Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products.
My mission is to help players (people around the world) reach their full potential in life. I believe Gamification holds the key to help many people stop procrastinating, identify their true calling, and take action.
To accomplish this mission and maximize my global impact, I created a Gamified learning journey called Octalysis Prime that teachers players how to…
- … identify their granted stats and abilities
- … gain experience through educational videos and mentorship from me
- … grow their tribe by meeting other driven, motivated players
- … and accomplish their purpose in life.
What you can do right now
What to do after you join the 14-day Gamification Course
Use the directory below to identify what interests you and dive deep into that topic. Prime On!
- Watch the TEDx talk
- Read my Gamification book
- Watch the video course
- Join the Facebook community
- Level up!
Next, read my most popular articles:
- Octalysis – complete Gamification framework
- The 10 best productivity apps that use Gamification
- The 10 best educational apps that use Gamification for adults
- The 10 best social products that use Gamification to literally save the world
- Top 10 Marketing Gamification Cases You Won’t Forget
- A Comprehensive List of 90+ Gamification Cases with ROI Stats
- Top 10 eCommerce Gamification Examples that will Revolutionize Shopping
- Top 10 Enterprise Gamification Cases That Will Make Employees More Productive
- Top Ten Learning Games For Kids