If life is a game, then we can’t just stand by passively like NPCs (non-playable characters); instead, we need to be proactive, gain knowledge and experience, team up with other motivated players, obtain mentors, and have fun doing it!
Since you’re new here, I’m giving you a step-by-step strategy guide to take control of your life and turn it into a fun, fulfilling, real life game.
Step 1: learn the fundamentals of Gamification
Your best first step is to join the 14-day Gamification Course. I created this free course specifically for beginners seeking to learn the fundamentals of Gamification. Not only will you learn the fundamentals, but you’ll also meet thousands of motivated people, just like you, who are going through the course. Together, you and other Octalysis Explorers can learn from each other and support each other as you grow your knowledge in Gamification.
Step 2: team up with motivated players
I first started my Gamification journey in 2003. Back then, it was quite a lonely journey, as the word “Gamification” had not even been coined yet. But I was passionate about how to utilize game design to motivate desired behavioral, so I stuck with it and started many companies in the gamification world.
Today, Gamification is high in demand, and there are many professionals seeking to learn how they can apply it to their company and to their personal lives. This is why I created the Octalysis Explorers Facebook Group, so we can all share our knowledge and grow from each other.
Step 3: watch the videos
A close friend complained to me: “Yu-kai, I prefer to learn by watching, which is why I use Youtube to learn about science, history, and cats :P. Every Youtube video I can find about Gamification is so boring. Can you help me out here?”
Challenge accepted! I started the Octalysis Video Course as a fun hobby to express my creativity (CD3) and to share my knowledge with the world in a fun format. I had no idea that my video courses would get so popular, leading to tens of thousands of views and many consulting projects.
Bonus: read the articles
A great portion of the knowledge and research that I have spearheaded since 2003 on Gamification has been carefully detailed in my Gamification book.
Below you will find a map for articles on my blog.
Beginners start here:
- Video Series: The Beginner’s Guide to Gamification
- What is Gamification?
- Octalysis: a Complete Gamification Framework
- Core Drive #1: Epic Meaning & Calling
- Core Drive #2: Development & Accomplishment
- Core Drive #3: Empowerment of Creativity & Feedback
- Core Drive #4: Ownership & Possession
- Core Drive #5: Social Pressure & Envy
- Core Drive #6: Scarcity & Impatience
- Core Drive #7: Unpredictability & Curiosity
- Core Drive #8: Loss & Avoidance
- White Hat vs Black Hat Gamification
- 4 Phases of a Player’s Journey
- 4 Experience Phases in Gamification (#1): The Discovery Phase
- 4 Experience Phases in Gamification (#2): The Onboarding Phase
- 4 Experience Phases in Gamification (#3): The Scaffolding Phase
- 4 Experience Phases in Gamification (#4): The Endgame Phase
- Lifestyle Gamification: How to Convert your Life into a Game
- 4 Steps to Master Lifestyle Gamification
- User and Player Types in Gamified Systems
- The Six Contextual Types of Rewards in Gamification
- Gamified Competition in The Enterprise Workplace
- Top College Degrees for a Career in Gamification
- The Octalysis Strategy Dashboard for Gamification Design
- The Skyrim Opening: Shell vs Essence of a Game Design
- Autodesk: What Makes a Successful or a Failed Gamification Campaign?
- How Yu-Kai Chou Designed his Blog Gamification System
- How Games Compel You to Pay them Obsessively
- Game Design Analysis of Diablo II through Level II Octalysis
- How Apple Inc. Harnesses Epic Meaning & Calling to create Loyal Snobs
- How eBay and Amazon Wield Gamification Techniques
- Implementing Gamification in Your Organization: Getting Buy-in from Your Boss
- 7 Professions Where Gamification Gives You an Edge
- Gamifying Company Politics: Chou’s Corporate Player Types
Would you like Yu-kai Chou to work with your Organization?
If you are interested in working with Yu-kai Chou for a business project, workshop, speech or presentation, or licensing deal, please fill out the form below.