It’s all about the Gamification Case Study
Below are a list of gamification cases with ROI stats and figures, with links to the case studies, so you can see for yourself the huge impact it is causing on businesses.
I want this list to focus on cases that can confidently be measured as ROI.
The current gamification market size is estimated between $3 billion and $12 billion, depending on sources.
Enterprise Gamification Case Stats and Figures
1) SAP: The SAP Community Network regamified its already-mature reputation system, increasing usage by 400% and community feedback by 96%
2) SAP Streamwork: added gamification in brainstorming groups and grew generated ideas by 58%
3) Onmicare: introduces gamification to its IT service desk, getting a 100% participation rate from teams members
4) Astra Zeneca: gamified medicine training gets 97% of their large network of agents to participate, with a 99% Completion Rate
5) CaLLogix: reduces attrition by 50% and absenteeism by 80%. The company saves $380,000 per year
6) Slalom Consulting: participation of employee name recognition program increased from 5% to 90%, and recognition scores improved from 45% to 89%
7) Galderma: pharmaceutical company, uses gamification to train their sales division regarding new products. Despite the voluntary participation, nearly 92% of targeted employees ended up playing
8) Spotify and Living Social: replaced annual reviews with a mobile, gamified solution with over 90% of employees participating voluntarily
9) Objective Logistics: the company motivates the employees through behavioral rewards and increases their profit margin by 40%
10) Inside View: gamifies their employee social media usage and increased Twitter updates by 312%
11) Keas: employment wellness program that increased employee engagement with healthy activities by 10,000% (100x)
12) Danske Statsbaner: through their “Engaged” platform, employees share their actions that support the value and strategy of the company, resulting in 92% positive ratings in content
13) Google: designed a Travel Expense System resulting in close to 100% of employee compliance for travel expenses
14) Deloitte: training programs that are gamified took 50% less time to complete and massively improved longterm engagement
15) Engine Yard: increased the response rate for its customer service representatives by 40% after posting response-time leaders to all employees
16) Nextjump: uses gamification to get 67% of their employees to go to the gym
17) Bluewolf: gamified online conversations and posting increased employee community activity by 57%
18) Ford Canada: gamified it’s learning portal for employees and increased actions per user by 100% within 5 weeks
19) Blueshield’s Wellivolution: Team gamified system resulted in 80% of employees participating in at least one wellness program, and 50% of employees dropped smoking behavioral
20) Idea Street: the Department of work In UK used game mechanics to get 120,000 people to contribute 4000 ideas, with 63 of them implemented in the marketing department
21) EMC RAMP: with their gamification platform, the company rewarded positive behavior from employees, partners and customers which led to a 10% increase in documentation, 40% more videos watched and 15% more discussions
22) DirecTV: uses gamification to overcome the fear of failure
23) HCL: decrease new hire “Pre Join” drop out rate by 90%
24) T-Mobile: dials up employee engagement by 1,000 percent
25) Royal Caribbean Cruises: All-time high customer satisfaction with facial recognition.
Sales Gamification Case Stats and Figures
1) Autodesk: gamified the free trial, incentivizing users to learn how to use the program and offering both in game and real word prizes, increasing trial usage by 54%, buy clicks by 15% and channel revenue by 29%
2) ePrize: increased the participation in their sales event by 10% by creating a participation-based point economy
3) LiveOps: call center reduces call time by 15% and increases sales by over 8%
4) Step2: children’s retailer used PowerReview’s social loyalty scheme to boost up sales with a 300% increase in revenue from Facebook and 600% in contents uploaded
5) Domino’s Pizza: created the gaming app Pizza Hero and increased sales revenue by 30% by letting customers create their own pizza with an app
6) Moosejaw, clothing company, that used an innovative gamified system that saw 76% of sales revenue come from gamified activities, including 240k social media impressions, resulting in a 560% ROI from initial marketing expenditures
7) Silver Grill Cafe: received a 66% Return on Investment for having its waiters/waitresses play a cross-selling game
8) Cisco: used gaming strategies to enhance its virtual global sales meeting and call centers to reduce call time by 15% and improved sales by around 10%
9) Popchips: uses games to personalize mobile advertising and has seen its sales rise 40% leading to $100 million in sales.
10) Teleflora gamified its store with a social engagement scheme offering points for actions, increasing traffic from facebook by 105% and conversion rates by 92%
11) America’s Army: 30% of americans age to 16 to 24 had a more positive impression towards and has recruited more people than all the other methods combined while costing a fraction of the marketing cost
12) Extraco Bank: raised customer acquisition by 700% through gamified system
13) Lawley Insurance: with a 2-week contest, the company closed more sales than the previous 7 months combined
14) Playboy: in its Miss Social game, 85% of their users play more than once, with 50% returning a month later, resulting in a 60% increase in monthly revenue
15) Kill The Paper Invoice: increased website visits by 108.5%, and a conversion rate of 9.38% through a gamfiied system
16) Sneakpeeq.com: increased their conversion rate by 18% with a 3000% lift in total numer of click-per-buy
17) Ford Escape Route: with this game, Ford’s customers bought over $8 million in vehicles, with 600% increased likes on FB page, and over 100 million impressions on Twitter
18) Investorville: with a property-investing game, Australia’s Commonwealth Bank created 600 new loans
19) Hewlett Packard: launched Project Everest to give rewards like holidays and other goods to the best reseller teams and saw a 56.4%.
20) Grouper.mk: A 600% increase in monthly signups.
Product Gamification Case Stats and Figures
1) Microsoft: improved its translations for Windows OS through the Language Quality game with over 900 employees completing 26,000 tasks with 170 additional errors reported
2) Leadership Academy: within three months, daily visitors increased by 46.6% with one user earning the Leadership Academy Graduate Badge, which was expected to take 12 months
3) Microsoft: obtained 16x more feedback by people through its Communicate Hope gamified system
4) EMC2: increased the amount of feedback it received by 41%
5) Dosomething.org: got a 26% response rate from teen audience to a scavenger hunt game
6) OpenText: implementation of a leaderboard contributed to a 250% increase in business usage and adoption
7) Volkswagen: got 33 million webpage hits and 119,000 ideas through its People’s Car Project that lets people design their “perfect car”
8) Samsung Nation: 500% increase in customer product reviews, and 66% increase in site’s visits when using a gamified system
9) Beta One: Microsoft’s Testing Division get a 400% increase in participation for the pre-release testing
10) Uber: The rideshare app gets more drivers on the road using gamification.
11) Arcade City: Challenger to Uber and Lyft getting its start in Austin, TX, with smart contracts (Ethereum) and guilds to protect drivers: “Think Habitica meets Uber,” says its CEO.
12) Audible: Audible uses badges to keep readers reading, even though they already have a strong product.
13) Facebook: 2.23 billion users log in every day through a variety of game loops and gamified interactions.
Lifestyle Gamification Case Stats and Figures
1) OPower: reduced measurable energy consumption by over $100M
2) Aetna: increased daily healthy activities by 50% with an average engagement of 14 minutes on the site
3) ClinicalAdvisor.com: embedded a social platform that improved user submission by 300%, comments by 400%, and Slideshow Visualizations by 53%
4) Bottle Bank Arcade: gamified bottle bank was used 50 times more than conventional bottle bank.
5) The World’s Deepest Bin: 132% more trash collected compared to conventional bin
6) Piano Stairs: 66% more of people use the stairs, if they can produce music with it
7) Speed Camera Lottery: a lottery system that causes a 22% reduction of driving speed
8) Toilette Seat: 44% of increase in lifting the toilet seat when urinating
9) Nike: used gamified feedback to drive over 5,000,000 users to beat their personal fitness goals every day of the year
10) Recycle Bank grew a community of 4 million members by providing a gamified recycling platform.
11) Chevrolet Volt: uses a green/amber indicator to give drivers visual feedback of their driving style and reduced the number of people exceeding the speed limit by 53%
12) Diet DASH at Drexel University shown to reduce sugar intake, and over half the players lost 3% body weight over a period of 2 months
Consumer Behavior Gamification Case Stats and Figures
1) MTV My Chart: lets users create their video chart based on various game dynamics, and obtained 500,000 votes and 150,000 videos viewed within 3 months
2) Joiz: a Swiss television network increased sharing by 100% and social referral traffic by 54% with social infrastructure and gamification technologies
3) Muchmusic.com: increased their music userbase by 59%
4) Marketo: layered a game platform on their community and saw a 71% lift in daily activities, 36% increase in ideas submitted and 48% increase in question replies.
5) Interscope Records: the company obtained a 650% increase in engagement and interaction with the website
6) Verizon: users spend over 30% more time on-site with social login games versus a regular site login
7) Allkpop: during the week long promotion of game mechanics, the online news site experienced a 104% increase in shares, 36% in comments, and 24% in pageviews.
8) SessionM: offers mobile publishers a platform for adding game mechanics into apps, increasing 35% in retention and reduced bounce rate by 25%, all while seeing 40x increase in engagement rate in social activities
9) Buffalo Wild Wings: the campaign generated more than 100 million social impressions on SN, as well as a 500% increase in participation rate
10) Green Giant: generated 420,000 likes on Facebook through their gamified system
11) NickTV: introduces a game-based role-playing platform as heroes and within 2 months obtained 750,000 pages views (200% the amount of the usual traffic for the entire nicktv.it website), over 50,000 users and over 4,000,000 sessions on the website, with an increase in time spent on site by 25%
12) More than a Game: The interviewer changed the formulation of surveys, obtaining a 98% response rate and a 87.5% in descriptive words within answers
13) BlurbIQ: introduced Interactive Video Interruptions and within two weeks obtained 915% more interaction, 1400% increase in click through rate and 95% increase in recollection
14) Bell Media: increased customer retention by 33% by incorporating “social loyalty” rewards on its website
15) Club Psych USA: saw a 130% jump in page views and a 40% increase in return visits towards the game
16) American Express: the company has gotten over 2 millions likes on Facebook through their Nextpedition gamified system
17) Boyd Game: the casino gets over 700,000 visits each month by introducing gamification on its website
18) Verizon Wireless: more than 50% of site’s user participate in this gamified environment and spend 30% more time on the site
19) Topliners: introducing the gamification in the community lifted active users by 55%
20) SAP ERP: introducing game mechanics improved user participation with telepresence increasing by 29.75%
21) GetGlue: Has build a community of 2 million users around a gamified t.v. feedback platform, 20% of all social media posts to dedicated t.v. show pages during primetime come through GetGlue. (Link in Italian)
22) Ask.com uses game mechanics to increase user engagement through real-time notifications and activity streams, increasing answered questions by 23% and votes by 58%
23) MuchMusic.com implemented a social loyalty program, rewarding users with tangible gifts such as concert tickets and led to weekly activity increase by 59%
24) Badgeville & Kendall-Jackson: increase customer engagement by 65%
25) Patient Partner: uses gamification to improve medication adherence
Education Gamification Case Stats and Figures
1) Beat the GMAT: students increase their time spent on site by 370% through a gamified system
2) OTT, an e-learning provider, increased by 65% user engagement, with some users peaking at over 300%, by adding a reward system
3) Deloitte Leadership Academy, an executive training program, increased by 46.6% the number of users that returned daily to their platform by embedding gamification mechanics into it
4) Stray Boots & A.L.Penenberg: the professor taught journalism through gamification and saw student grades increase by more than a letter grade
5) Devhub: a place for Web developers, added gaming feedback and watched in awe as the percentage of users who finished their sites shot up from 10% to 80%
6) Foldit: gamers have solved a 15-Year AIDS Virus Protein problem within 10 days
7) Duoling: Grew to 300 million users and 10 minutes per day per user.
Scientific research related to the effect of Gamification
1) Research findings support the impact of levels, badges and a (dummy) feedback system connected to a study course, results were significant, with 18.5% higher average grade for students enrolled in the gamified course.
2) Research findings support the impact of levels, points, leaderboards, streaking and visual storytelling to improve participation in crowdsourced assessments. Results were significant with an increase of 347% of participants returning for recurrent participation. (compared to control group)
3) Research findings support the impact of point-based levels (Status titles) and leaderboards to IBM’s internal social network service. Short term impact showed a 92% increase in comments posted, within this research long term engagement was also measured and an increase of 299% more comments posted was found compared to the control group.
4) Subsequent research in the same social network service above showed the effects of removing the point based levels, status titles, and leaderboards. The removal of the game mechanics showed a significant result as across the board activities on the social network service dropped by 52%.
5) Research findings support the impact of narrative, leaderboards and countdown timers to online training. Results were significant with a 61% increase in participation for online training.
6) Research findings support the impact of narrative, levels, quests, countdown timers, immediate feedback, guidance systems, visual storytelling, surprise events and flow (matching ability and difficulty) to an online tutorial. Results were significant with users learning via the gamified tutorial showing increased ability by finishing tasks 135% faster compared to the control group. Additionally, the users expressed much higher satisfaction in regards to using the system.
Would you like Yu-kai Chou to work with your Organization?
If you are interested in working with Yu-kai Chou for a business project, workshop, speech or presentation, or licensing deal, please fill out the form below.
96 thoughts on “A Comprehensive List of 90+ Gamification Cases with ROI Stats”
Best Cosmetic Surgeon in Hyderabad – Dr Y V Rao clinic
Dr Y V Rao is a certified cosmetic surgeon in Hyderabad, we are offering a best Cosmetic Surgery in Hyderabad, Vizag, India
Best oncologist in Hyderabad suggest that to avoid junk foods while in gaming. Also do some physical exercises.
Still a fantastic source of success and information!
Interesting, Thank you for sharing this
nice article, thanks for sharing this valuable info.
This post is really good I have got lot of information related to the ROI stats
MNR Educational Trust is established to enrich lives through quality education. It has charted a path of molding the students into competent future experts and successful professionals who will co-operate and contribute to make the world a better place. The legacy of the Trust is built on a student-centric approach that involves honing their innate skills and addressing their psychological and spiritual needs.
Interesting! This is a very good article. Thank you for sharing. I look forward to publishing more such works.
We will achieve our goals through the expertise of our people, with effective leadership, the provision of exceptional service delivery and our commitment and partnership with the community.
I really fell happy to read this post thanks for sharing this very good post.
I think its very good post thank you so much for share this valuable post.
I do accept as true with all the concepts you’ve
presented to your post. They’re really convincing and
can definitely work. Still, the posts are too quick for beginners.
May you please extend them a bit from next time?
Thanks for the post.
Great resource for practical gamification examples.. We have applied some of these insights in our incentive & gamification engine for retailers & Food and beverage businesses.
Very exciting post. I am happy that I found you on web.
News Channels serve and keep us updated
If you are looking for latest and breaking news so watch news channel regularly
As a suggestion it would be better to use http://web.archive.org/ to show cached version of the links. It is less annoying to manage deadlinks.
Most of the links are not working
Working on fixing/updating this.
Gaming is life for some people. Great going.
One of the great list for game lovers. Multispeciality Hospitals in Hyderabad
I have read your information and your suggestions that you have shared with us. You made a good site and giving us such a great information. Thanks for sharing the best and useful tips they very nice and very help us.
sap course in hyderabad & fee
The Post seems to be good I really gather a lot of information from the post thanks for sharing this awesome post. @ Best Gynecologist in Hyderabad
Gastroenterologist suggest that to avoid junk foods while in gaming. Also do some physical exercises.
Whew! Lots of info here. 🙂
Yu-kai Chou, it seems that all links on this page lead to articles that do not match the described case study! So, it is not possible to actually view the details of each case study.
e.g. “Google: designed a Travel Expense System resulting in close to 100% of employee compliance for travel expenses” leads to an AON article?
Thank you very much for compiling this amazing list. One of the questions that this triggers is – Are there templates/guidelines that help chart out parameters that will help preparing the potential ROI of a gamification project ?
This is fascinating! Maybe I am wrong in some letters in English words, but THOSE figures show RESULTS of gamification. And, I suppose – those are only the “visible” iceberg part – aren’t they? How deep is the REAL Gamification iceberg?
Hi – a comprehensive looking list. But what I really need is access to other games themselves, especially those connected with changing peoples’ behaviour. Any ideas where these can be got?
Good post! This was very encouraging and I hope this continues to help others. Keep up the good work
best hadoop training in hyderabad
nice article, thanks for sharing this valuable info.and i refer for best online hadoop training best hadoop training in hyderabad
hadoop is the best framework in programing languages . It is part of the Apache project sponsored by the Apache Software Foundation.learn and get the full knowledge on hadoop.
Still a fantastic source of success and information!
Sxiphone tech blog real tech news