Since my co-founder Jun Loayza wrote a post about the same topic, I figured I need to write one too just to be cool. I mean, people have a lot of different opinions about me, but few can deny that I’m a pretty unique/weird guy, so I’m sure I can beat Jun in being more interesting:
- I can write different things with both hands at the same time
- I have a scar with 26 stitches on my lips because it split in two when I ran into a metal trash can at the age of 3
- My father has been a diplomat for Taiwan for over two decades
- My mother has Master’s Degree in Chinese literature
- I was born in Taiwan, but grew up in South Africa (6 years), Taiwan (7 years), Kansas (5 years), and California (7 years), and Vancouver Canada (1 year)
- I started my high school chess club and I spent 4 hours a day learning so I could coach the team
- My high school chess club won the State Championship in my Junior Year, and won the championship for the next 5 years. They also finished strong nationally.
- I married an amazing women who is quite a bit older than me
- I have records of gaining 15 lbs in 2 weeks as well as losing 15lbs in 2 weeks.
- I can play the violin on the back of my head
- I can beat many of my friends in chess without looking at the board (shout the moves)
- When I was little, my dream job was to be a factory worker in a ramen factory
- When I was little older, my dream job was to be either an actor/singer, or a professor at anything
- I thought I was going to be a Biochemist during high school. I applied to schools with chem majors
- In South Africa, my favorite pet dog is named Icy
- Icy was smart enough to press the doorbell when she was locked out of the house on accident
- Before I was 17, I was constantly working to be accepted by others. I was a pushover
- When I was small, I felt that I had an obligation to be happy because people around me are sad. When I cry, I do it secretly and shamefully
- A huge chunk of my education was derived from business podcasts
- On my iPod Nano, there are no music but 4 gigs worth of podcasts
- I graduated from UCLA with a degree in International Economics in 3 years while running my businesses to save my parents money
- I became a devoted Christian when I was in 10th grade, after rejecting a church invite from a friend six weeks in a row.
- I made enjoy Subway
- I enjoy sleeping in my jeans and button ups
- I am a co-founder of Bruin Consulting from UCLA
- I once rejected sex from one of the most attractive girls I know from high school
- I became an entrepreneur when I was 18
- My first business was on eBay, when I “coincidentally” won 2 football tickets by drawing myself from a raffle
- I started four businesses, one non-profit, and one student organization before I was 24
- My goal in life is to make people around me successful
- I can beat Jun Loayza at Super Smash Bro Melee
- I used to be called Eric
- My best friend when I was in South Africa was called Luwazi, although I don’t know how to really spell it
- I put ice cubes in my fried rice
- I have eaten an eight-by-eight at In’N’Out and thought it was nothing
- I met my wife in a Chinese church in Fremont California
- In middle school, I was obsessed with martial arts and would spend hours a day practicing/reading about it
- I was a heavy Starcraft and Diablo II player. Then I became a slightly heavy Starcraft II and DIablo III player
- There is nothing in my life that I truly regret up to this point
- I have over 2500 real friends (if you count friendly acquaintances too)
- I was heavily involved in the green/sustainability movement
- I was one of the 100 young leaders in California that was invited to the Governor’s Global Climate Summit
- I took a dump in a bush outside my college apartment once and wiped with leaves because I lost my keys:(
- I look smarter than I actually am. I was impressed by a guy when he said he is as smart as I seem to be.
- I have the worse phobia for earring. I can’t even stand paperclips on ears.
- I joined the debate team the first year I came to the states. Got slaughtered without knowing much English, but made it to varsity my junior year
- I literally eat four times faster than some of my friends
- I used to write string quartet music and perform in a group call BoPo MoFos
- My first relationship was opposite attract. She was pessimistic with low self esteem
- I have global expansion plans: LA, SF, Shanghai, Beijing, Taiwan, London, Argentina, Brazil, Dubai
- I used to be addicted to this online pure text strategy game called Utopia
- I have awkward body language
- My violin’s name is Marian. I named her after a Danish girl I liked in high school.
- I had one of the most important epiphany’s in life from Diablo II
- My favorite movie is Brave Heart. I have watched it over 30 times, and it made me cry even watching it the 4th time.
- I think I am pretty impressive for my age, but am always shocked when others think I’m impressive
- I created a business analysis system in college called Octalysis
- I prefer living in a triple than a double. I would pay a bit more for a third roommate
- I have never smoked cigarettes or done drugs
- I can only bend down to touch my knees
- In South Africa, my family received a certificate from the government, stating that my family is classified as “honorary whites”. Now you know why I am so well-respected.
- When I was in 5th grade, I led a team to clean the restrooms used by kids with special needs. I can confidently say that I was the No 1 poop cleaning expert in my school (being a pushover in everything else)
- I feel that a leader should take care of the grunt work while the team focuses on what they are best at
- I can make a strange eagle cry noise that no one I have ever met can reproduce
- One of my new hobbies is to hulahoop and DDR at the same time
- I can beat the entire Mocap Boxing game in arcades within 2 tries
- When I was younger, I was obsessed with ninjas
- My brain makes connections between things that most people think are random
- Sometimes people seem to think that I’m a good leader
- I realized that Twitter has the potential to take over my life
- I swam varsity for my high school team
- I shaved my head twice, one for swimming, the other because of a girlfriend hear cut mistake
- I had a $8 budget a day for food when I was bootstrapping my startup
- I took Spanish for three years, but didn’t learn much
- I am trying to really learn Spanish
- I am into promoting acupuncture
- I started doing Gamification stuff since 2003
- I am generally not a sentimental person. I only look forward, not back
- I am trying to lose 20 lbs. I starve myself sometimes for that
- I’ve been an entrepreneur for so long that joining a corporate job is the scary leap of faith for me.
- The most important physical trait of a girl to me is her eyes
- I cannot write short blogposts even when I try
- I have my own reality show called Living the Startup Life
- I speak in explanations, not in sentences
- I tend to over explain things.
- Some people say I look like a Panda, but I think my animal would be more like a Dolphin
- I do not care about living a luxurious life, but I want to make the largest impact possible
- I now reside in Fremont, California
- I often needed to do penalty problems till 3AM in the morning when I was in third grade because I just moved from South Africa to Taiwan
- I have about 7-8 best friends in this world, all separated by geographic area
- I made hundreds of people motivated and level up in real life
- I wrote a Chinese novel that is 190,000 words with three years of effort, and only 20% done
- My dream vacation is to fish and play chess at the same time with an attractive and smart woman
- I am a typical O blood type Taurus
- I once faced death and smiled, thinking that I lived a good life
- I like to sing, but sing horribly
- The worse drink that I ever had was a Durian Smoothy
- I believe that one day I will be the leader in one or more industries
- I recently stepped down as CEO of my startup
- I’m not sure if creating this list is a good return on investment in time or not
Would you like Yu-kai Chou to work with your Organization?
If you are interested in working with Yu-kai Chou for a business project, workshop, speech or presentation, or licensing deal, please fill out the form below.
14 thoughts on “100 Facts you did not know about Yu-kai Chou”
You aren’t actually that bad at singing. I mean, you’re rapping skills aren’t that good, but you’re karaoke in Chinese is actually pretty good.
The most impressive point is the first one, i know a person who can spell words from the last letter to the first without thinking, but nobody able to write with each hand two different things.
I can also find more than a few common points between us but you accomplished much more in much less time than me.
I wish you to keep living with no regrets and accomplish even more Yu-Kai, you may not as smart as you look but you do have a great energy.
Only 100? Why stop there? Why not make it 1001? It sounds like you have come a long way in your life, and still have the best of times still ahead of you. That is a great place to be. All the best of success on your amazing journey.
We should start living the startup life again.
#87- considering that I just found this post… probably not, but hey- it’s a solid easter egg!
I read this in your “personal” page…”I have global expansion plans: LA, SF, Shanghai, Beijing, Taiwan, London, Argentina, Brazil, Dubai” any reason why India did not figure in your list?…
#68 I like to see some examples of this
#38 was good times.
#50 Dubai would be nice. Professor once told me its the economic capital of the world or will be. Making FD part of that would be awesome.
#99 Looking forward to working more with you and the team!
I was impressed.
Haha, true true. Good observations! But it says something about my good training eh? 🙂
This list is only 99 facts about you. Number 16 is about your dog.